In today’s times, maintaining the security of the house is of utmost importance. This is where security cameras come into the picture. This is perfect for keeping track of what goes on at home when you are not there. From break-ins, intruders, thefts to even suspicious people moving around the house- security cameras can capture all of these and keep you and your house safe at all times. There are different types of cameras available in the market these days including the likes of outdoor cameras, infrared cameras, night vision cameras, wireless, high definition and the likes. But how to view security cameras online?
This is one of the most important aspects in the security cameras now. First of all, let us understand what remote viewing actually means. You have cameras set up at home while you are at work. Now usually you would be required to come back home in order to have a look into the video footage. But fortunately, there is an improvement on that. With the help of remote viewing, now you can check all your video footages from the security cameras on your laptop, tablet or Smartphone, no matter where you are. You could be away from home, at work, or even on a vacation and your house would be protected by these cameras. All you would need is internet connection and you are good to go from any part of the world. So you can be relaxed checking on your house while the security cameras do the job for you.
Setting up the camera
Before we go into remote viewing, we need to set up the camera first. Now, we must remember that the security cameras should cover the places of the house that are most prone to break ins. The security cameras are placed in strategic positions. For starters, you would need to make a plan for your house. This is a surveillance diagram that will help you take the first measure. You could choose from the different variations of security cameras from the likes of wireless or wired cameras, indoor or outdoor cameras, motion sensing and the likes. For remote viewing, make sure your cameras support that feature. When you install the camera, ensure that it has a wide angle of viewing. This will help you cover most of the house with less apparatus. Once the camera is mounted on the wall at a suitable position, it can be powered on with a power source. Also, don’t forget to link the security camera to the DVR in order to have a clean and uninterrupted view of the footage. Make sure that the cables you use with these cameras are efficient enough for transmission.
How to view security cameras online?
In order to view your security camera online, some amount of DVR knowledge would be required to view the footage online. Let us first focus on the things you would need:
- Security camera
- Security DVR
- Internet connectivity
- Internet explorer
Once you are set with these, you will have to follow these steps in order to set your devices up:
- First step includes connecting the security DVR to the router. For this purpose you will require a CAT 5 network cable. Type the router’s IP address in any browser on the computer. If you are not sure of the IP address, do check with the router manufacturer in order to know it correctly. You will also be asked for the router password in order to access it.
- Once you have put in the IP address and the router password, you will be able to access the Local Area Network settings of your router. Here, you will be required to take the next step by creating a static IP address on the DVR. This makes the connection between the network and the DVR. The DVR will have one specific address and therefore cannot cause any conflicts when you use it later.
- Forwarding the port is the next task at hand. Your router needs to be set at forward port. Your DVR might have different requirements. So be prepared to forward more than one port in case you need it for the DVR.
- The next job is with the DVR. Once you switch it on, you will have access to the network menu. A static IP address will be chosen here. This is the same IP address that you had used before on the router settings. Other things required here will be the subnet number, the default gateway and the domain name server. The forward ports on the DVR and the router should tally with each other. This brings us to the last step in the process.
- Finally, you would be required to choose a web browser that is outside your own LAN. Here you can type in the IP address. Again, you could check with your service provider about the correct IP address. This will lead you to install the ActiveX control for the DVR’s server. That is what you do next. Once the control is installed, you are set and good to go. Following this, you can log into the DVR for remote viewing and keep track of what the cameras record at home.
Once all of these steps are done, you can test your remote viewing properties by accessing the camera’s feed from any device. Remember, you would need the IP address for configuring your devices.
As we have seen here, remote viewing is one of the most prominent features to have in a security camera. The installation is not very difficult and once it is done, you have the advantage of having access to your video feeds anytime and from anywhere. We hope that with this article, we learn how to view security cameras online. Remote viewing is just as important as having security cameras at home. So, make sure you keep your house fully secured with all the latest equipments.
You May Also Be Interested In:
Your Home Security is Now Simple to Find and Tough to Break!